Thursday, August 09, 2007

Scrapple, hodgepodge, odds and ends, and Skrullduggery Week revisited.

Hard to take them seriously with the little stars around their heads.At a garage sale today, the Oldest talked me into buying a box full of random old comic cards for him. Mostly Marvel, with some DC Bloodlines (like I'll be explaining who Glonth is anytime soon) and some bikini girl trading cards, which he didn't want, or at least says he doesn't want, today...There were spares of this card above, which reminded me of a book I finally found, about a week or so late.

Rendering four months of Wolverine and assorted guest spots null and void!
I know I have Uncanny X-Men #375 somewhere, but I found this reprinted in X-Men Universe #3. That also includes Astonishing X-Men #3, where the fake Skrull Wolverine is killed by Apocalypse's Horseman Death, who turned out to be the real Wolverine. Even though this was leading to a whole lot of crossover, this wasn't too bad, and the cover's a nice bit of fake-out. But Wolverine should never be replaced by a Skrull again. Been done.

It would be ever so nice if Wolvie, I dunno, mentioned it in passing, though.
I had a completely different panel in mind, but the issue in question? Vanished completely. Try again next month.
In other news, the Oldest and I finally saw Rise of the Silver Surfer, and liked it quite a bit. Initially, I was a bit concerned that it was such a short movie (a hair over 90 minutes, I think) and that there wouldn't be enough room for everything, but I thought it ran better than Spider-Man 3, which seemed a bit overstuffed. Oldest was a little disappointed not to see the traditional Galactus, but a purple planet eater might not have translated that well to the screen.

I noted that the Human Torch seems to fly a lot faster in the movies than he did in the comics, and Oldest said that's because he doesn't move in the comics, so he's not going at all. He may have had a point in there somewhere.

Art on the Marvel 1991 trading card by Ron Lim.

"I Am Not Now, Nor Have I Ever Been..." Plotted by Alan Davis, pencils by Adam Kubert, inks by Matt Banning and Tim Townsend, script by Terry Kavanagh. I really liked Alan Davis on the X-Men books: it wasn't reinventing the wheel, but it was entertaining and characters didn't change just for the sake of shock or to move a favored plot forward...or at least, not as much as usual for the X-books.

From Silver Surfer #123, "Square One" Written by outgoing George Perez and incoming J.M. DeMatteis, art by Ron Garney and Bob Wiacek. An emotionally dead Surfer returns to earth to try to put together what's happened to him, and seeks the help of the one person who's rekindled his emotions before. I need to re-read these: I remember liking them quite a bit, but the why of it all escapes me, and some of the villains seem a bit dodgy. There is an issue in there of the Surfer walloping the overmatched Spider-Man and Daredevil, though. Also, what does everyone have against changing the character of Alicia Masters from "Ben's girlfriend"? I can think of three different changes that have all been reversed, but that may be a post for another time.

No comments: