Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Actually, I'd read this. Or at least say I read it:


Um...I got like every third word of that...
I'm trying to recall if Spider-Man really struck me as a philosopher. Oh, Pete's a bona-fide genius, but in a math kind of way: he's an objectivist, a scientist. Not to say the two can't meet, but aside from the great power/great responsibility riff, Spidey's main examination of life is dwelling on his failures...hmm. Still, it'd be fun to read Spidey defeating his villains with brutal, savage logic; instead of webbing and fists. Maybe.

From What If? #34, "What if... Marvel Comics and the National Endowment for the Arts presented: Spidey Intellectual Stories" Written by Roger Stern, art by Ed Hannigan and Al Milgrom. (It's all right there in the scan, but I guess I have to type this for the search engines, eh?) As that ever-popular happenstance would have it, I re-read this the morning before I saw CBR's mention of Roger Stern's new Amazing Spider-Man story. A fortunate break!

What If? #34 was the somewhat infamous all-comedy issue--a good six years before 1988's What The--?! Both are somewhat uneven, but have their moments. And we might have another one from this later!

2 comments:

SallyP said...

I...I have this, and I loved it. Yes, the all silly issue was stupid, and so was "What the...?", but frankly I enjoy stupid.

chiasaur11 said...

Really, I'd think Parker would be more likely to bring up the uncertainty principle.

Fits more with the running theme of calling the odds.