Thursday, March 11, 2010

What, I didn't post about Guns of the Dragon already?

"Idiotisch!" is right, since I thought I posted on this one years ago! Guns of the Dragon, a four issue limited by Tim Truman, that I think I referred to as "Enemy Ace and Bat Lash versus Vandal Savage and Communism."

Set in China in 1927, the political climate is changing faster than gambler and cathouse owner Bat Lash would prefer: foreigners are becoming less welcome, but Bat doubts he'll ever be able to go back to America. With the aid of his bouncer, Biff Bradley (brother of longtime DC P.I. Slam) Bat has a plan to ensure his residency, but needs a flyer, so he enlists the help of Baron Hans Von Hammer, also known as Enemy Ace. Hammer has been wandering around the world since the end of the first World War, and still has his trusty Fokker DR-I. And apparently, not much else to do.
'Great, the ghosts scream again, and now there's a tyrannosaur with them.'
Twice during the series, Lash tricks Hammer with a rigged deck of cards; but it's also entirely possible that far from being tricked, Hammer went along with the trip to Dinosaur Island in the hopes that maybe, just maybe, he could get killed. Hammer may not particularly want to die, but he doesn't seem that keen on living either, and that would stop the ghosts of those he's killed.

Lash gets the best lines in this one, and seems older but not entirely wiser. Throw in Vandal Savage working the long game, a brief discussion on the final fate of Jonah Hex, dinosaurs, ninjas, shape-changers, and a cameo by Mao Tse-Tung; and you get the point why I liked Guns a lot.

Sadly, I don't think Guns of the Dragon has been collected to date, but you can find the issues easily enough; and I suggest you do so.




3 comments:

SallyP said...

I've never even heard of this...but is sounds fantastic.

SallyP said...

Er...did Brett even READ this entry?

chiasaur11 said...

Spambot.

They're evolving.