Tuesday, July 06, 2010

It belongs in a museum!


As I type this, the new season of Warehouse 13 is about to begin. I've watched it in passing before, but there's something about it that bugs me. A few somethings.

I don't trust Artie, the Warehouse's curator or keeper or whatever. Partly, because the premise of locking down all these mysterious and potentially dangerous artifacts pissed me off at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark. "Hey! We've got all this cool science stuff and weird magic crap! But you can't have any. Or touch it. Or look at it. In fact, you've seen too much, let's put you in a box..."

In fact, the Warehouse's methodology reminds me of the Four from Planetary; an evil analog of Marvel's Fantastic Four that buried or stole for themselves every cool thing they could get their hands on: mysterious civilizations, alien power batteries, illegal experiments, and so on. They used what they wanted, but moreso, they kept it from helping anyone else; something the Warehouse operators seem completely on board with.

To my recollection, I don't think we've seen anyone trying to use the Warehouse artifacts for good, or if so, they have some horrible side effect or something. Still...maybe I'm just being cranky, but I don't remember asking anyone to protect me from the weird. Fah. We'll see if I'm still irritated after this episode...

By the way: how much of the stuff in the picture above do you recognize? Indy would be stuffing his pockets...

EDIT: Ooh, they almost had me with Portishead's "Nobody Loves Me" at the end, and I would love it if H.G. Wells stole the ring and locket because they belonged to H.G. Wells, not because of any scheme or Macguffin. But then they lost me again with the preview for next week's superhero episode: "You're tampering with forces you can't understand!" Couldn't fit a tampering in God's domain bit? For me, Warehouse 13 is a show that is on that I'll maybe watch, if I'm not doing something. Like laundry. Beats the hell out of SyFy's ghosty-psychicy-crappy programming blocks, though.

2 comments:

MrGBH said...

Is that Han Solo frozen in carbonite at the back there? I wonder what Indie's impression would be?

Sea-of-Green said...

I swear, the museum quote is my favorite Indiana Jones quote of all time.