Monday, April 04, 2011

Let's see, upwards of 980+ pages, not counting the trade...carry the three...


I don't know much about how comics are purchased on the direct market, or market-sales strategies; but I do know a steal when I see one: the other weekend at Hastings, I picked up several of DC's recent reprint books, marked down from $7.99 to $.99. Then, there was also a "Buy 2, get 1 free" sale; so I have a couple hundred pages worth of books to read now.

Got nine of those, the first issue of Deadpool MAX, JSA 80-Page Giant, an issue of Atomic Robo, and the second Crisis on Multiple Earths trade. Per the receipt, I saved $89.47; so I don't know if that's a sustainable business model, but it works for me.

Everyday is Like Wednesday mentioned being surprised the DC Comics Presents books weren't selling better, and admittedly I wouldn't have purchased this lot if they hadn't been sixty-six cents a piece; but it makes me think comic books have become a closed system. If so, then there are only so many consumers that will pay for comics, and said consumers only have so much money: if super-amazing Book A puts out two issues this month, the consumer may pass on lower tier Book B, leaving comics no net gain. So, these reprints may be swell as hell, but it's tough convincing a lot of comics buyers to cough up for them; especially when they've been conditioned to buy the big "important" crossover books. Vile speculation, and I could be wrong. I hope I'm wrong.

1 comment:

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

I wish I had a store like Hastings near me, then I could catch up on old favorites for cheap. Still yo've got a point about the sales of comics nowadays. Comics stil sell, despite not reaching anywhere near the levels they used to; trades help out, but only serve to prop up a dying, or at the very least, constant contracting market. The majority of comic buyers are getting older, not younger, and there in lies the very problem that has haunted the industry since the end of the golden age.
Still, you got a hell of a deal all things considered.