Thursday, April 04, 2013

I wonder if Mark Waid learned this the hard way:



For years, even though I've enjoyed tons of his work, my tag for the writer Mark Waid has been "a rare fumble from Mark Waid," because he messed up an admittedly dicey point of Captain America continuity. And I just kept using that tag; but today we see what may actually be a fumble...

The Beat posted a link to Jeremy Rock and Mark Waid's Gutters strip, "Four Panels That Never Work." It's a riff on Wally Wood's "22 Panels That Always Work." But something struck me as wrong about that second one; and it seemed a little harsh for no reason...

But part of the reason I have this blog is to remember old comics, and I remembered where I had seen a villain's speech from the Jumbotron! We looked at it before, but it's from Avengers #402, "End of the Line" Art by Mike Deodato and Tom Palmer, story by...Mark Waid! Hey, shenanigans!

Admittedly, Onslaught is probably a psychic projection, which would probably just have taken a single word balloon to explain; but that doesn't stop the assembled Avengers from smashing the hell out of the Jumbotron on the next page. Fortunately, Waid wouldn't take his own advice, and continues writing to this day...but I have to wonder if anyone called him on that story back in 1996!

No comments: