Tuesday, June 04, 2013

Good news: my girlfriend and I are now completely moved out of our respective old apartments! Bad news: a good majority of our crap is crammed into our current one, since the door to our garage was falling off--we didn't want to put more stuff in there, then the door falls off...

Now, I don't want you to get the impression that I've seen the light, and am going to forswear my hording ways--if anything, I plan on getting more junk, thank you very much. But there was a lot of stuff I could probably maybe stand to get rid of now. Lug around enough crates full of videos or CD's, and you may come around to the opinion that physical media is outdated and stupid. Likewise, there's a fair number of comics or figures that may not be getting enough love from me, that would be more appreciated elsewhere. I'm pretty sure I just moved an old tray holding some still-carded figures, like a House of the Dead figure, and a Tomb Raider movie figure just sitting around--whoa, that's spendy. Hello, eBay! (Spendy on Amazon doesn't necessarily mean spendy on eBay, though. Choose wisely!)

So, I'll doubtless be doing a bit of housekeeping. I also had this insane notion for an action figure display case/shelf; somewhat based on the classic Clash of the Titans, of all things. Zeus had little individual nooks for his little clay avatars...it would almost be like the old-school action figure cases, really. Say about two feet wide, with dividers for individual spaces sized for the average Marvel Legends, DCUC style figure; then some larger slots closer to the top or an open shelf. Each slot would also have a couple of footpegs, to keep its occupant standing. The back and front of the unit would be plexiglass or lucite or clear plastic, to keep dust out--and the whole thing would be hinged, stacked two or three deep! The whole thing would be like five feet tall, maybe a foot deep, with a slightly larger base; with heavy duty hinges and magnetic locks to hold the plexiglass closed. I wonder how much it would cost to knock something like that out...I have no idea how much a couple of sheets of plexiglass is. Hell, I couldn't tell you how much wood is. The little footpegs may be the tough part...

I guess if price was no object, get the whole thing made of plexiglass or clear plastic; and throw in a backlight or something. But action figures are still enough of a niche item that I can't see something like this pipe dream showing up at Ikea or Pottery Barn or wherever people get furniture these days.

And then I just had the even more insane idea, of sculpting something like that out of clay--kinda like what Zeus had again, or at least how my fevered brain pictures it right now. More arty, but would weigh a metric ton...

We'll be back to regular posting shortly, with a homemade strip tomorrow!

1 comment:

SallyP said...

Funny you should mention Ikea. They DO happen to have a really nice display case, that is glass on four sides, stands about 5' tall or so, and would be just fabulous for action figures.

I'm going to get one too!