Friday, September 23, 2016


As is often the case, if I can pull a whole mini-series from the quarter bin, I'm kinda obligated to get it; and poor Hastings is almost all quarter bin at this point. Still, just because I got it for under a buck doesn't mean it isn't worth reading, right? From 2013, Hit #1-4, written by Bryce Carlson, art by Vanesa R. Del Rey.

This was set in Los Angeles, 1955; when some factions of the police were fighting crime on its own terms, as in with murder squads. Detective Harvey Slater leads one such team, wiping out mobsters that the law couldn't get otherwise; and seems to be having a pretty good time of it until one bad day:

I've read a middling amount of crime fiction, but it's not a period I seem to see that often in comics. (It reminded me of the movie L.A. Confidential, which I wouldn't mind seeing again now.) Hastings had a pile of assorted Boom! Studios titles in the back issue bins, but so far this was the only one I could find a full run of: doing a quick check, the Midas Flesh was eight issues, the Last Broadcast was seven, but I haven't seen all of either yet.

1 comment:

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

Love, love LA Confidential! Definitely a fav I haven't seen in a long while.